Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Introverted Traveler | Travel IS for everyone a response to Sian Ferguson on Matador Network

I think what bothered me the most about this article was the negative tone of it all. You can't, you can't, you can't; when people have been over coming you can'ts for as long as the human race has been around.

1. When you don’t come from money, the idea of travel rarely ever crosses your mind.
Response: I do not come from money. I have been so poor that many times I ate once a day and I have also been homeless. I never believed anything was out of my reach. If anything the poverty levels that i experienced drove me to work hard to reach my goals. If that meant working extra shifts or sacrificing what I want in the "now" to reach those goals, that is what I did.

2. “Traveling on a budget” doesn’t always cut it.
"At this point, you might point me to a guide on how to travel on a budget. For sure, some of those money-saving tips are super useful – but they seldom cover airfare, passports, and other unavoidable costs. They also don’t account for the money you lose out on when you take time off work to travel."
Response: Traveling on a budget DOES always cut it. You must take your budget and add travel in. You can reasonably predict what it will cost you in gas and food to do something. There are several ways to budget for travel. I met a couple who saved a pay checks amout of money to cover the bills while they were gone so they didn't have to worry about being able to pay them. Then saved for the travel event itself. They traveled every 2 years to wherever they wanted. Think about where you can save money and then put that money aside toward your travel goals. Another way to do this is to live simply and save as much as you can for several years. That's only 3 ways, but there are more and I may do a video on that.

3. The ability to travel depends on your level of privilege.
"Having a disability, whether physical or mental, can make it incredibly hard to visit new places."
Response: *buzzer to the negative* I will give it to this writer that disabilities make it difficult, I would however, draw the line at incredibly hard. Again, this is just one more hurtle for you to overcome. Many if not all places that you can visit are handicap accessable. They are also handicap accomidating as long as they know you are in need. As far as the transgender issue; don't go places that would be detrimental to your health to go. There are places I will not go because I am a woman and just don't want to risk it. We all have to make those decisions. I would love to climb Everest; will I? No. Why? Because my asthma and physical ailments prevent me from doing so. Staying safe is just as important as the other things I have discussed in this video. Planning your trip is a must, but that doesn't make it incredibly hard. I personally know several people in wheel chairs that participate in charity walks, travel state to state and have been across the pond. If you set your mind to things, plan and save you can make your goals happen. Will you be traveling every week? Probably not. Will you get to where you want to go? Definitely!

Link for reference: https://matadornetwork.com/life/lets-stop-pretending-travel-accessible-everyone/

Our Store: http://www.zazzle.com/sleepybluekitty/products
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sleepybluekitty
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sleepybluekitty
Instagram: @sleepybluekitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanderlust, what is it and how it effects us.

What is wanderlust? Oxford dictionary describes it as a, "strong desire to travel", with use begining in the early 20th century...